Sunday, September 30, 2007

Thing #21 - Podcasts

As I explored the three podcast directories suggested as discovery resources, I noticed that Podcast.net doesn't appear to have been updated since December of 2006 and Yahoo.Podcasts has a message that the site will be closing down after October 31 of this year. I hope that other directory sites are developed to take their place. Yahoo, especially, was very easy to search. When I did a search for book reviews, I got a listing of 158 series of podcasts on this topic.
I had a bit of difficulty getting some of the podcasts that I was interested in hearing to play. I think it might have something to do with the pop-up guard on my computer. I disabled the guard for that particular site but still didn't have success in some cases. The pop-up would display, but nothing would happen when I clicked the "play" arrow. At the other extreme, I couldn't get one of the podcasts to stop playing, and it was a 30 minute cast that I didn't really want to listen to after hearing the first few minutes. I finally had to turn the sound off on the computer!
I think that podcasts are great resources for many people. I, personally, will probably not use them much as I have hearing difficulties and much prefer to receive information visually.

No comments: