Thursday, September 27, 2007

Thing #13 - Tagging, Del.icio.us

Earlier today I could not imagine that I would be writing these words, but I have found that I actually like Del.icio.us! I explored all the suggested resources that were available (the "highly recommended" video tutorial is still disabled) and then looked around the site, checking out various bookmarks , the tag cloud, etc. I decided that I would like to set up a personal Del.icio.us account and this is where the trouble and frustration began. I was determined to add the Del.icio.us button to my browser toolbar. I followed the directions on the site (several times) and, each time, it would say that the button had been successfully installed. Wrong! It did not appear on my toolbar. I finally gave up and went shopping! Later, much later, this evening I approached the site again and realized that the directions I had been following were for Internet Explorer while my current browser is MSN. I do have Explorer on the computer and when I opened it, there was the Del.icio.us button right where it was supposed to be. JOY!! I then spent some time trying to get it moved or copied to my MSN browser and eventually found some FAQs on the site that noted that it is not currently possible to add the Del.icio.us button to the MSN browser. So much for that.
I had fun adding some bookmarks (including HCPL passport) and tags to my Del.icio.us favorites. I imagine that I will return to the site if I want to see what other users have bookmarked for a certain tag. It seems to me that this would be a wonderful site to use if I were still doing research, writing papers, etc. It would be a much easier way to organize materials and sub-topics than the old (really old) index card system.

No comments: